1st Lieutenant John J. Pershing stands in front of his six cadet commanders and staff from left to right CPT R.S. Bulla – Co C, CPT F. D. Eager – Co D, 1LT John P. Williams – Quartermaster, 1LT Harry G. Barber – Adjutant, CPT Carl C. Marlay – Co B, CPT Ernest M. Pollard – Co A, at the entrance to the school armory, Grant Memorial Hall on the University of Nebraska campus, Lincoln, Nebraska. Harry G. Barber was one of the founding members of Pershing Rifles.
Historical Notes: In 1891, Lt. Pershing took the position of Professor of Military Science and Tactics at the University of Nebraska. In 1892, Pershing’s Company A won the Omaha Cup at the National Competitive Drills held in Omaha. Members of Company A formed what would become Pershing Rifles on October 2, 1894. Pershing’s legacy of leadership through drill lives on today in Pershing Rifles units across the Nation.